Monday, May 14, 2018

Driving Lessons with Mom and Dad



Kieren is trying to learn how to drive. A stick shift. Anyone who has ever tried to teach driving to a novice can relate to the terror in his parents' eyes. Then imagine the difficulty of having to drive on the wrong side of the road, as they do in Australia. It's very stressful. I taught my kids to drive on an automatic, then they came back years later and wanted me to teach them to drive my clutch Camry. I gave them the keys and told them to go do it on their own, since they have licenses now. (via Digg)

The real secret to teaching a kid to drive is to start out in a safe place. We went from pasture to parking lot to cemetery to quiet neighborhood to downtown to highway. They had driven a lot before they actually had contact with traffic, so it was fairly smooth compared to other techniques I've seen.

2 comments:

Vireya said...

"Wrong side of the road"?????

Sounds like a troll comment, and damn, I fell for it!

Miss Cellania said...

Yep, I was trolling on that one.